Our material is a next-generation Carbon Fibre Reinforced Ceramic (CFRC) which is produced by Surface Transforms' proprietary processes, transforming Carbon-Carbon into our Carbon-Silicon Carbide (CSiC) ceramic.
Whilst the carbon-ceramic discs you find on production road cars conventionally use discontinuous (chopped) carbon fibre, ST interweaves continuous carbon fibre to form a 3D multi-directional matrix, producing a stronger and more durable product with 3x the heat conductivity of standard production components, this keeps the brake system temperature down and the brake performance consistent.
Surface Transforms has developed unique patented next-generation Carbon-Ceramic Technology that provides the ultimate braking performance for road and track. Here’s seven reasons why you need this technology on your vehicle:
- Weight savings of up to 70% compared to iron brakes (typically 20kg of unsprung weight)
- Improved handling and driveability
- Improved NVH (less noise, vibration and harshness)
- Improved performance (in both wet and dry conditions)
- Reduced brake wear – giving increased life
- Corrosion Free
- Outstanding performance, even from cold
For further technical information, you can read about our Niche Vehicle Network funded project to develop a ceramic replacement for an iron brake disc on the BAC-Mono Supercar here.